Speciality: 1-33 81 02 Radiobiology
Degree: Master of Radiobiology
General characteristics of the specialty: Speciality 1-33 81 02 “Radiobiology” in accordance with OCRB 011-2009 refers to the profile of education H “Environmental Sciences”, education area 33 “Environmental Science”, and provides a degree of Master of Radiobiology.
Requirements for the Level of Basic Education for the Persons Entering the Second Cycle Higher Education Degree at Master
The level of basic education of persons entering the second cycle higher education degree at master and having the first higher education degree in the following fields:
- 1-02 04 01 – Biology;
- 1-02 04 01 – Biology and Chemistry;
- 1-02 04 04 – Biology. Additional specialty;
- 1-02 05-04 04 – Geography. Protection of Nature;
- 1-02 04 07 – Biology. Valeology;
- 1-31 01 01 – Biology (of different sections);
- 1-31 05 01-05 – Chemistry (radiation, chemical and biological protection);
- 1-33 01 01 – Bioecology;
- 1-33 01 02 – Geoecology;
- 1-33 01 04 – Environmental monitoring, management and auditing;
- 1-33 01 05 – Environmental health;
- 1-33 01 06 – Ecology of Agriculture;
- 1-57 01 01 03 – Environmental Monitoring;
- 1-57 01 01 – Bioecology;
- 1-79 01 01 – General Medicine;
- 1-79 02 01 – Pediatrics;
- 1-79 01 03 – Medical and preventive care;
- 1-79 01 04 – Medical Diagnostics;
- 1-80 02 01 – Clinical and Laboratory Diagnostics;
- 1-100 01 01 – Nuclear and Radiation Safety.
- Persons with undergraduate degree in other specialties participate in the competition with account of the additional examinations on the disciplines; the list of the disciplines is determined by the higher education institution in accordance with the recommendations of the Academic Methodical association on environmental education.
Forms of second cycle higher education degree at master
Education in the master’s degree provides the following forms: full-time (day) and the correspondent form.
The sphere of professional activity of the master
The main areas of professional master’s activity are:
- 016 Activities, contributing to the cultivation of crops and animal breeding;
- 021Forestry and other forestry activities;
- 721 Research and experimental development in natural sciences and engineering;
- 75000 Veterinary activities (clinico-pathological and other diagnostic activities for animals);
- 841 General Public Administration, management in social and economic sphere;
- 854 Higher Education;
- 86909 Other activities in health care which are not included in other categories.
Objects of professional activity of the master
The objects of master’s professional activity are the following:
- land and other natural resources;
- regions with special conditions of land use;
- people and the dangers associated with human activities;
- methods and risk assessment tools;
- methods and protection means of human and the environment;
- the rules of valuation of the dangers of anthropogenic impact on the environment;
- scientific, educational, production and economic activity and socio-economic systems.
Objectives of Professional Activity of the Master
The Master should be prepared to the following task solutions in professional activity:
- implementation of the technological control of the processes of biological production, design and industrial applications of the tasks requiring basic and special biological and biomedical training; the organization of activities in the field of nature protection and environmental management; conducting medical and statistical and epidemiological analysis and expert assessment of the impact on the populations and different groups of population of harmful and aggressive environmental factors, ionizing radiation for the purpose of monitoring, prediction and prevention of pathological processes;
- carrying out morphological, physiological, biochemical, immunological and radiobiological research at the cellular, tissue and organismic level to give expert assessment of the extent and the level of pathological changes; preparing laboratory results for medical-diagnostic purposes in clinical and diagnostic centers; obtaining materials for laboratory analysis, competent carrying out experiments, preparing expert evidences on the results of experiments and analyses;
- organization of training plans and student learning programs, students and professionals to increase their skills in the theory, practice, and research methods of functions and chemical organization of the components of biological systems at different levels of organization with respect to the norm and for the effects of ionizing radiation and various environmental factors;
- the collection and preparation of scientific materials, skilled experiments, the study of molecular biology and molecular genetic characteristics of cells in the norm and expert evaluation of their changes after exposure to ionizing radiation and adverse environmental factors or other abnormalities; field studies, the treatment field and experimental research, expert assessment of the effects of ionizing radiation and environmental factors on humans and other living organisms;
- carrying out the analysis of the competitiveness and economic efficiency of innovations in accordance with international requirements; research conducting, organizing and analyzing information on the prospects of development of the industry, innovative technologies, projects and solutions.
Possibilities of further education of the Master
Masters should be prepared to study the curriculum of postgraduate course (postgraduate military course) mainly in the following specialties:
- 03.00.01 Radiobiology;
- 03.01.02 Biophysics;
- 03.01.04 Biochemistry;
- 03.02.07 Genetics;
- 03.02.08 Ecology;
- 03.03.01 Physiology.
Requirements for professional competencies of the master
A Master should be able to:
Scientific and manufacturing activity
Work efficiently in manufacturing laboratories of enterprises, conduct radiological, chemical and analytical, molecular and biological, physiological and biochemical and other forms of analysis within the frameworks of educational program.
Analyze and estimate the collected data about radiological and ecological environment, conduct project expert processing to estimate ecological and radiological risks in organizations in different regions.
Manufacturing and technological activity
Participate in control and expert check of radiological and ecological normative standards in the field of control level of anthropological impact on ecosystems.
Conduct work in the field of non-infection (ecological) epidemiology.
Work in the hygiene and epidemiology centers as environmental professional with the use of modern informational and computer technologies.
Be able to conduct analysis of public health in order to estimate and predict health status of population.
Be able to analyze the impact of extreme and harmful environmental factors on human population and to provide measures to optimize their impact.
Organizational and management activity
Plan and organize work on the structural department’s level for professional tasks solving.
Design standards, procedures and methods within the frameworks of integrated management systems (quality management, occupational safety management and etc.).
Know the production process, labor and fire safety standards and rules, and be able to organize working process in accordance with them, control and support labor and production discipline.
Draw up documentation (work schedules, instructions, plans, applications, business letters and etc.), and also reporting documentation in the requested form.
Scientific and pedagogic, academic activity
Conduct pedagogic work within medical and biological, ecological fields in the competence development institutions.
Provide adequate level of organizational and pedagogic, academic activity in educational institutions, ecological and outreach centers.
To be prepared for nature and environmental safety propaganda conduction, optimization of anthropological influence on environment, strategies of stable development, ecological approach to solving any household, domestic and technical issues and problems in the industrial society.
Organize and conduct personal, social and health educational work in order to form of population’s attitude to social health as a main productive force of the country.
Conduct academic research in the field of radiobiology, ecology, biology, ecological, laboratory and radiation medicine on the basis of academic institutions, in the higher education establishments, experimental research institutions, research and practical centers, laboratories and biomedical entities.
Plan and accomplish fieldwork aimed to collect experimental specimen for estimation of radiological and ecological situation, analyze and give expert estimation of collected field-survey and laboratory information.
Generalize and systematize the results of conducted work, using modern computing machinery, drawing-up scientific and technical reports and other documentation.
Conduct expert analysis of the collected results, make their expert estimation and perform forecasts defining strategy for further scientific researches.
Master and realize innovation in professional activity.
Conduct search, systematization and analysis of information on the development of the branch, innovative technologies, projects and decisions.
Estimate competitiveness and economic efficiency of innovative projects considering international requirements.